Skip to Main Content

Updating My Records

Updating Legal Name


Updating my Addresses


Using a Preferred Name

UMBC recognizes that any student, faculty, or staff member may choose to identify themselves within the University community with a preferred first name that differs from their legal (primary) name. As long as the use of a preferred name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the University acknowledges that a preferred name should be used whenever possible in the course of university business and education.

If you would like UMBC to use a preferred name that is different from your legal (primary) name (for example, Bob instead of Robert), you can easily do so on your myUMBC profile page.  Note that this will only affect internal university processes, like the Campus Card, class roster or Blackboard, and will not change your legal (primary) name with the University, where the use of the legal (primary) name necessitated by University business or legal requirement.

Learn more about how UMBC uses preferred name and how to change your preferred name by clicking here.