Special Enrollment

The Special Enrollment area of the Registrar’s Office assists with registration, enrollment, certification, and clearances for certain special populations.


UMBC students may participate in the Army University ROTC program through Johns Hopkins or the Air Force ROTC program through the University of Maryland, College Park. The Army Reserve Officers Training Corps is an elective course of study that allows full-time college students the opportunity to earn a commission as a second lieutenant in the United States Army, Army Reserve, or National Guard while pursuing a regular college degree.

Advising and Registration must be done through the respective institution. For further information contact JHU Department of Military Science or the UMCP Office of Air Force Aerospace Studies.

Inter-Institutional Enrollment

UMBC students may enroll in selected courses at other USM campuses and pay tuition at their home institution.  The policies and procedures can be found in the IIR Policies and Procedures document.

Before advising, students will be expected to submit an Inter-Institutional Enrollment Form.

Baltimore Student Exchange Program

BSEP is a program that allows qualifying undergraduate students at Baltimore-area institutions to take selected courses at other participating campuses while only paying tuition at their home school. Through the program, students register for courses at both their home and host institutions, but are billed only by their home school. At the end of the semester, the student’s credits and grades from the host institution are transferred to their home institution. This differs from standard transfer coursework in that both credits and grades transfer.

Institutions participating in the BSEP include:

  • Community College of Baltimore County (limit to 5 students)
  • Coppin State University
  • Goucher College
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • Loyola University of Maryland
  • Maryland Institute College Of Art
  • Morgan State University
  • Notre Dame University of Maryland
  • Peabody Institute
  • Towson University

Before advising, students will be expected to submit a BSEP Enrollment Form.  For further information refer to the BSEP Procedures and Policies.  Be advised that registration for these courses will not take place until the General registration date for each semester.