Preparing for Graduation
Undergraduate students in their final semester of coursework are eligible to apply for graduation.
Before you apply though, please make sure to do the following:
- Review your major/minor/certificates on myUMBC, and verify they are accurately listed.
- If you need to change to make updates to your major, minor, or certificate, complete and submit the declaration/change of major form to the Registrar’s Office
- Contact your advisor(s) to assure your major/minor/certificate program(s) will be complete
- Review your Degree Audit to ensure:
- All general education requirements will be met
- At least 120 academic credits will be earned, not counting Physical Education credits
- At least 45 upper-level credits will be completed
- At least a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher will be earned
- Review your mailing address in myUMBC and verify it is correct, and make updates if needed
- If you are taking courses or CLEP exams off-campus, complete the Verification of Transferability form
- Understand that you will need to submit a final official transcript to the Registrar’s Office once final grades are received
- Pay any balances and financial holds, including parking and library fines
Please be aware to be considered for University Honors, students must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher, and a minimum of 60 academic credits taken at UMBC. For more information, please visit the University Honors page.
Applying for Graduation
Students apply for graduation online through myUMBC. All graduation candidates are reviewed by both the academic departments and the Registrar’s Office. Students are notified by email of their initial graduation status mid-semester.
You may apply online for graduation during the following dates:
- Spring Graduation: December 1st through February 15th
- Summer Graduation: May 1st through June 15th
- Fall Graduation: August 1st through September 15th
Graduate Students should contact the Graduate School for information about graduation and diplomas.