Newly Admitted Student Checklist

Follow these steps after being admitted into UMBC

1. Contact a Department of Veterans Affairs counselor at 1-888-442-4551 to discuss your education benefits.

2. Complete the VA’s Application. The VA requires you to apply to start using your education benefit. Use the VA’s online application which may be quicker than sending in an application to the VA. 

3. Submit your Certificate of Eligibility to us. After the VA processes your application, they will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” detailing your education benefit. 

4. Submit your Semester Certification Request Form. You will submit this form to us with your “Certificate of Eligibility” once you have registered for classes after orientationThis form is the form you will do EVERY semester that you are using your benefits.  It can be found HERE.

5. Fill out the FAFSA. Every student, regardless if you are using VA benefits, should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to see if you qualify for additional student aid.  Check with the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for aid eligibility or if you have any questions regarding the FAFSA.

6. Veteran Education Benefits are certified on a semester basis.  You will need to complete the Request for Certification form every semester to be able to use your benefits.

Note: If you have used VA education benefits previously at another university, you must complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training) through the VA website at

Questions please contact