Skip to Main Content

Transferring Coursework

Verification of Transferability

UMBC students who are considering taking courses elsewhere will need to complete a Verification of Transferability form prior to their enrollment in the course, and submit the form to the Registrar’s Office. A transfer evaluator will review the proposed off-campus course, and will indicate how the course will transfer to UMBC once the course is completed. If students plan on taking coursework off-campus for their academic major, they will need their advisor’s signature, as well. Students should allow one to two weeks from date of submission for processing. Forms will be returned to students once completed.

Once students have finished their coursework at another institution, they need to submit official copies of their transcripts to the Registrar’s Office.

Students seeking direct equivalencies for courses other than Maryland Community College coursework should submit course descriptions with their Verification of Transferability form, and allow an additional four to six weeks for review.

Maryland Community Colleges and ARTSYS

Students taking coursework at Maryland Community Colleges can do a preliminary review of how courses will transfer to UMBC using ARTSYS: The online Articulation System for Maryland Colleges and Universities.

However, the Verification of Transferability form should still be submitted as ARTSYS is designed to only assist new transfer students to UMBC, not current UMBC students. ARTSYS cannot guarantee that current students will not have other issues such as being over the transfer credit maximum or whether a course will indeed satisfy a general education requirement.

Current and re-admitted students will not receive general education credit for Maryland Community College courses equated to UMBC courses that are not designated as satisfying the general education requirement. Please consult the university catalog for further information.