UMBC, as part of the University System of Maryland (USM), defines in-state status according to the USM Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes (the “Policy”). 

Residency classification is first established during the admissions process. All undergraduate students are informed of their residency classification in their admission decision letter. Graduate students, once accepted, are emailed a residency form to complete and are informed of their residency classification thereafter. Students are responsible for knowing their residency classification. Residency classification determines if students pay Maryland resident or non-resident tuition rates. Tuition rates can be obtained from Student Business Services

Any student who wishes to petition for reclassification of their residency status for tuition purposes must submit a residency petition.

If you have questions regarding your residency classification after reading through the information on this webpage, please contact our residency specialist.

Defining In-State Residency Status

Per the USM Residency Policy, in-state status is granted to students who, for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately prior to and including the last date available to register for courses in the semester for which the student seeks in-state tuition status, has the continuous intent to:

  1. Make Maryland their permanent home; and
  2. Abandon their former home state; and
  3. Reside in Maryland indefinitely; and
  4. Reside in Maryland primarily for a purpose other than that of attending an educational institution in Maryland.


Students with out-of-state classification who have the following status will temporarily be classified in-state, including:

  • Full-time or part-time (50% time or more) regular employees of a USM institution, their spouses and dependents.
  • Certain full-time active duty members of the US armed forces including their spouses and dependent children.
  • Certain veterans of the US Armed Forces.
  • Students using certain VA benefits.
  • Certain members of the Maryland National Guard.
  • Graduate Assistants during the term of their appointment

See the Exemption page of our website, as well as the USM Policy for a complete list of USM Residency Policy exemptions.

The above overview does not supersede or amend any part of the USM Policy on Student Classification for Admission and Tuition Purposes.

Students must notify UMBC of any change in circumstances which may alter in-state status. Failure to do so could result in retroactive charges for each semester/term affected.