Applying to Graduate
Undergraduate students within two semesters (90 or more credits) of completing their degree requirements are eligible to apply for graduation. Applying can be done easily through myUMBC’s Application Page. A review, by both the academic department and the Registrar’s Office, is conducted for each candidate’s status towards completion of the degree requirements. All majors, minors, and certificates are reviewed, as well as the general education requirements. Candidates are notified by mail of their status mid-semester.
Undergraduates must apply for graduation through myUMBC by the following dates:
- For May Graduation – February 15
- For August Graduation – June 15
- For December Graduation – September 15
Graduate students should follow the graduation application process as outlined by The Graduate School at UMBC.
Eligibility for Undergraduate Commencement Participation (Effective Fall 2015)
Undergraduate students who are enrolled to complete all degree requirements by the end of the spring semester may elect to participate in the May commencement ceremony. Undergraduate students who are enrolled to complete all degree requirements by the end of the fall semester may elect to participate in the December commencement ceremony. Students who complete their degree requirements in one of the summer sessions may elect to participate in the following December commencement ceremony and those completing their requirements during the winter session may elect to participate in the following May commencement ceremony. Students may only participate in one commencement ceremony based upon the semester in which all degree requirements will be met.
In-progress coursework, including incomplete grades, will be included in the calculations when determining student’s eligibility for undergraduate commencement participation (120 credit requirement, 45 upper level requirement and 2.0 GPA requirement).
Exceptions for undergraduate commencement participation will not be considered.
For detailed information, please visit Commencement Ceremonies.
Honors (Effective Fall 2016)
Honors are based upon coursework taken over the duration of a student’s entire undergraduate academic career at UMBC. To be eligible for Honors, students must have earned at least 60 graded credits at UMBC (excluding Pass/Fail and Audit grades) with a GPA as follows:
- Summa cum laude (“With highest honor”): Students graduating with a GPA between 3.95 and 4.0.
- Magna cum laude (“With high honor”): Students graduating with a GPA between 3.75 and 3.9499.
- Cum laude (“With honor”): Students graduating with a GPA between 3.5 and 3.7499.
Calculation of Honors
For purposes of being recognized with Honors, GPA and credit calculations are determined as follows:
- In-progress coursework that is being taken on a regular graded method (excluding Pass/Fail and Audit grades) will be counted toward the 60 credit requirement, but not toward the GPA requirement.
- For May degree conferral, GPA calculations are based upon coursework completed through the end of the prior winter session.
- For August degree conferral, GPA calculations are based upon coursework completed through the end of the prior spring semester.
- For December degree conferral, GPA calculations are based upon coursework completed through the end of the prior summer session.
While students may be provisionally recognized with Honors at the time of the applicable commencement ceremony in May or December and in the commencement program (refer to Eligibility for Undergraduate Commencement Participation), the official determination of Honors occurs after the commencement ceremony, once final semester grades have been submitted and calculated. The diploma of the University and the final official transcript are the only documents that officially award Honors at the time the degree is conferred by the University.
Undergraduate Graduation Checklist
- I have contacted my advisor(s) and know that my major/minor/ certificate program(s) will be complete by the end of the Graduating Semester.
- I have reviewed my Degree Audit online and will have all general graduation requirements met by the end of Graduating Semester
- I will have at least 120 total credits, not counting PE credits, by the end of Graduating Semester.
- I will have at least 45 upper-level credits by the end of Graduating Semester.
- I have a grade point average that is over 2.00.
- I have reviewed my major/minor/ certificates on myUMBC, and verified that they are accurately listed. If you have changed your major, ensure that your records are updated.
- I have reviewed my permanent address in the system and verified it is accurately listed. Verifying/updating your permanent address can be done by logging into your myUMBC account and updating your address information under Personal Info – Student Contact Info (https://my.umbc.edu/settings).
A student electing to concurrently complete programs resulting in different bachelor’s degrees must complete all program requirements, all general education requirements applicable to all degrees, and a minimum of 30 credits above the 120 credit minimum for each additional degree totaling to a minimum of 150 credits.