Registration & Withdrawal

The Registrar’s Office provides support for student registration. However, students are responsible for creating and managing their schedules through their myUMBC account. Through the student’s myUMBC account, students are able to add, drop, withdraw, swap, and join a waitlists for classes.

How to Register

Student Registration Videos

Student Registration Quick Reference Guides

Eligibility to Register

Registration Appointment Slot

During advanced registration, students are permitted to register for courses based upon a Registration Appointment Slot. Appointment times are based on earned credit hours only, not including course work in which the student is currently enrolled.

Advising Clearance

All degree-seeking undergraduate students are required to consult an academic advisor prior to their initial registration in any regular semester. Undergraduate freshmen are required to consult their advisor before making any schedule change in their first semester at UMBC. At the conclusion of the student’s advising session, the advisor will issue the advising authorization electronically.

Financial Holds

Students who have outstanding financial obligations to UMBC will be prevented from registration transactions until the account is fulfilled. More information about payment of tuition, fees and other charges are available at Student Business Services.

Obtaining Registration Permissions

Course Permissions

Students must obtain permission prior to enrolling in a course denoted by the “Department Consent Required” flag in the Schedule of Classes. Students should contact the department of the course or follow the instructions given on the course listing in the schedule.

Permission to Enroll for Courses with a Time Conflict

In instances where there is less than a 10 minute overlap between the meeting times of two classes, students may request permission to enroll if one of the course instructors agrees that appropriate arrangements can be made. Students must complete a Time Conflict Exceptions form, obtain the signature of the instructor granting the special arrangement, and submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.

Permission to Enroll for Excess Credits

Students may enroll in up to 19.5 credits in the fall or spring semesters, up to 16 credits during the summer sessions, and up to 4.5 credits in the winter sessions. Students seeking to exceed these credit maximums must complete an Enroll in Excess Credits form and seek approval through their academic advisor and the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising

Other Enrollment Exceptions

Course Exceptions such as Closed Course Permission, Prerequisite Overrides, and/or Waitlist Adjustment must be approved by the class instructor.

Note that in all cases, registration clearances or course permissions do not constitute enrolling in courses. Unless otherwise noted, students must enroll in courses via myUMBC according to established deadlines for the term.

Withdrawals & Absences


To drop individual classes or withdraw completely prior to the published Last Day to Drop a Class with a “W” (see Academic Calendar):

  1. Log in to your myUMBC account
  2. Locate the“Topics” tab in the upper left corner and select “Classes & Grades”
  3. On the Classes& Grades topics page, select “Student Schedule & Registration”
  4. Select the “Drop” tab and place a check mark next to each course that you wish to drop. Then, select the button labeled “Drop Selected Classes”

After the published Last Day to Drop a Class with a “W” (see Academic Calendar) students cannot drop individual classes.After that date, to withdraw completely from UMBC, send a Help Ticket to the Registrar’s Office using myUMBC:

  1. Log into your myUMBC account
  2. Locate the “Help” tab in the upper left corner and select “Request Help”
  3. On the Help Resources topics page, under “Classes and Grades” click on “Registration”
  4. Title to your message and complete the ticket by requesting to be dropped from each course for which you are enrolled in for the semester.
  5. Once this ticket is received, the Registrar’s Office will process your request within two business days, retroactive to the date of your request.

If you are a parent or family member of a student who is currently unable to facilitate a request to withdraw on their own behalf, please contact the Vice President’s Office for Student Affairs at or 410-455-2393 for assistance.

Individual Absences from Class

If you do not wish to withdraw, but will be absent from class, work directly with your professor. There is no action to take with the Registrar’s Office unless you are officially withdrawing.

Leave of Absence

For undergraduate students, there is no formal leave of absence process at UMBC, however you should be certain to formally withdraw from all classes for which you may be registered for the upcoming semester. You should also notify any department for which you may have a contractual relationship (i.e. housing, meal plan, etc.) about your enrollment intentions. If you will be returning after only one semester away, upon your return to campus, you simply need to contact your academic advisor for registration clearance. If you will be away two or more consecutive semesters, upon your return, you will need to apply for readmission through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

For graduate students, contact

If you are a parent or family member of a student who is currently unable to facilitate a request a leave of absence on their own behalf, please contact the Vice President’s Office for Student Affairs at or 410-455-2393 for assistance.