Course Work Forms Test

Enroll For Excess Credits

Purpose: To request permission to enroll in more than 19.5 credits in a Fall/Spring semester, more than 8 credits in one of the two Summer sessions, or more than 4.5 credits in a Winter session.

Procedure: Complete the form and obtain your advisor’s approval. Submit the form to the Office for Academic and Pre-Professional Advising (Room 102 Academic Services Bldg.) for review.

Processing Time: You will receive an e-mail within one week from the Office for Academic and Pre-Professional Advising with a decision on your request.  If your request is approved, your maximum credit limit will be increased in the registration system and you will be instructed to add the overload course(s).

Download the Form

Request For Credit By Examination

Purpose: To request that you receive credit for specific coursework within a selected department at UMBC, without enrolling in the course, by taking and completing appropriate examinations. For more information and specific requirements, please see the UMBC Undergraduate Course Catalog, page 30.

Procedure: Credit-by-exam may be earned for a course by obtaining approval from the head of the department sponsoring the course. A completed credit-by-examination form, signed by the department chairperson and your major advisor, is then forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for approval. After payment of a non-refundable fee of $5 per credit, the exam may be administered. Grades then are forwarded to the Office of Registrar.

Processing Time: Five Business Days

Download the Form